Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Kindle pricing

One of the many pleasing things about self-publishing is that I've got the freedom to mess around with pricing in (virtually) real time.

The last few days, I've read several articles about pricing e-books. A lot of authors stressed really low pricing as key in capturing larger audiences. That combined with my musician officemate's comments about "paying dues" early in your career pushed me toward at least testing how pricing impacts sales.

I've repriced The Monster's Daughter to $1.49. (That's a royalty of roughly $0.50.) I couldn't quite bring myself to price it at $0.99, but who knows how I'll feel in a week or two? The point is, I have the freedom to play around with it, and that's a fabulous feeling!

Yesterday evening, on the other hand, I wasn't feeling fabulous. The afternoon was beautiful, and I relished every moment my son, a girlfriend and I spent in the sun at the Santa Monica pier. I made it through the one-year mark with a light heart, but my heart sank as 5:00 neared. I tried to imagine my childhood home being someone else's home. I'm excited that someone else's future--and laughter--will be tied to the place, but it felt at the time like the definitive conclusion of my childhood.

Shouldn't that have happened a little earlier than 32? Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps! I have enough good humor this morning to see that. That's in part thanks to my girlfriend's lovely pictures of yesterday, which included the following:


It's uplifting, if funny, to think that I'm the mom in these pictures now.

No comments:

Post a Comment