Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Mrs. Deborah Scissorhands on journaling

"How can I become a better writer?"

People ask me this (perplexingly) often. Regardless of the "why" of it, my answer is constant: Keep a journal.

Wait. Let me clarify that for those thinking they can simply tuck a journal between their mattresses and call it good. Regularly write in a journal. Really keep it, versus simply owning it!

All my print journals, 1990-2008

In the sixth grade, my best friend gave me a Snoopy journal for Christmas. Thus began a lifelong obsession not only with documenting my life but working my way through its difficulties in a judgment-free forum. In my journals I found a confidant who wouldn't get upset with me for trying 100 different times to find the right way to express exactly what I was feeling. With years and lots (and lots and lots) of practice, I got to the point where 1-2 attempts did the trick. In five minutes, I could sit down on my bed, jot down some words and feel the goodness of transferring weight off my heart and into my journals.

[ read more ]

---

A few entries from late last week didn't make it up here:

[ *nerd alert* HAPPINESS! *nerd alert* ]

[ A title to end all titles. Like, obliterate them. ]

No comments:

Post a Comment