Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 2, 2012

A glorious mess of hope and wonder

“Do I need to buy a TV so you kids will stop reading?”

My mom was usually joking when she asked her children this question, but the humor was often tinged with desperation. “It’s good that you’re reading, but should you read this much?”

Despite our poverty, my childhood home never lacked for books. My mom saw these garage sale finds as an investment in her children’s futures. Indeed, books proved a vital link from the sadness of our circumstances to the hope that many adventures might yet await us. (Ontormonto!)

Between our home collection and the thousands of books available at the public library, no part of the world was beyond our reach. Neither was the “otherworld” unreachable. Between me and my just-younger sister, every book on the supernatural made its way to our home at some point!

[ read more ]

No comments:

Post a Comment