Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Budgeting ain't for sissies!

It’s been five years since I got myself into the habit of budgeting my money.

Likely in the middle of budgeting

I hated it at first. Before I started keeping track, it was easy to pretend I had more money than I actually did.

With all my paycheck dollars divvied up into clear budget categories, it was much harder to keep up that daydream.

Budgeting wasn’t without its benefits. Looking at the totality of my debt and expenses in one place allowed me to create a realistic plan for paying off my debt. Within a few months, I found my debt diminishing instead of growing. I was delighted to see the numbers going down, if a little less thrilled that my law school debt was still in the six-figure zone.

Five years later, it’s easy to see how much my budget benefited me. It was absolutely worth the teeth-gnashing and fist-shaking at the beginning.

Recently I’ve been faced with another budgeting question:

Why didn’t I ever try budgeting my time?

[ read more ]

1 comment:

  1. That's such a great thought! We're diving into managing are school debt now that we're both out of school, and I'm not having too much fun with it :( you've got me thinking though, thanks!

    ReplyDelete