Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Ba.D. on Survivor & me on new Hanukkah traditions

Maoz Tzur: The musical rock of my Hanukkah celebration

This Hanukkah will be my third as a mother and my second as a Jew.

Before I converted, I strove to observe Shabbat and the High Holy Days but pretty much ignored Hanukkah. It was just a minor folk holiday, after all!

Last year, my son, Li’l D, was barely a year old as Hanukkah approached. He was too young to appreciate it fully, but I found myself thinking about its celebration more and more as it approached.

I realized that “minor folk holiday” would be one he’d enjoy celebrating in his young years. By laying a joyous and loving foundation of Judaism for him throughout the year and including Hanukkah, I’d be helping instill in him the same passion that inspired me to embrace the faith.

[ read more ]

--

Your Survivor questions for Ba.D.: answered!

RAWR.

What is something that you did on Survivor that you thought you would never have the courage to do?

Get on the boat and do it. Seriously, I was aching to do it, but I didn’t know how scared out of my mind I’d be until I got on the boat in the middle of the Pacific and start paddling. And yes, it is something frightening in the back of your mind to think that you’re out in the middle of the ocean, no life vest, sharks and about 3 miles between you and land—and only a flimsy catamaran between you and the cold water. Yeah.

Oh, and what is the ONE item that you wish you had brought with you that you didn’t?

Oh, I brought it, I just didn’t get to use it: A journal and notebook. It was my luxury item, but my tribe didn’t win that challenge, so no go. It was too bad. I would have probably been a little more even keel if I’d had it. Or a camera. Yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment