Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Savor them as they come


Not his tricycle, but he tries riding it anyway

As a lover of words, I’m fascinated by my son’s growing ability to manipulate them.

Most of the time, new words and ideas trickle out of him. Sometimes, though, they come in a flood that bowls me right over.

This morning started out ordinary enough. Li’l D offered up one of his books and asked me to read it. He snuggled against me and messed with the book’s hidden text flaps while I read.

Afterward, he left his room and met “Daddy” in the hallway. “Whewhenade, Daddy!” he said, before taking a step toward the kitchen.

He’d barely finished speaking when he froze and whirled. “Stay here, Daddy!” he commanded.

Daddy stayed put, but that wasn’t good enough. Li’l D pushed him back toward the bedrooms and commanded even more loudly, “Stay here, Daddy!

I made Li’l D a small breakfast, following which he emerged into the living room and gaped at the mess of toys strewn on its opposite side.

“Mommy, who took the toys out?!” he asked.

Daddy, now permitted in his proximity, answered, “You did, last night!” I echoed the sentiment, which Li’l D rejected.

“Who took the toys out?” he repeated.

[ read more ]

No comments:

Post a Comment