Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Legos, crispy-style

These days, I have to check the oven before I turn it on. If I don't, I'm apt to bake a bag, high chair tray, child's toy or similarly not-for-cooking item my little one has decided to hide therein. It's always good to check, for a check in time saves . . . the apartment from catching on fire.

That's how the saying goes, right?

This morning, I was so excited to take my new MacBook Air for a spin at my favorite cafe. I skipped the power cord; I only had a couple of hours to write, after all!

My heart soared as I pulled Motivation from his (yes, "his"; I only buy boy computers) case. I anticipated the rush of continuing my new YA novel while sipping on an almond milk horchata latte. So much delight on so many levels!

Then I saw Jon Stewart. Yes, Jon Stewart. "No!" I commanded Motivation, urging him to cease his cruel prank. I knew I'd turned him off after watching Jon Stewart two nights ago. Hadn't I?

Lo, Jon Stewart's incredulous face continued to refute me. Motivation's low battery warning simultaneously urged me to plug in his power cord or lose my work. I wanted to plug it in. I really did. It's just that I couldn't, on account of not actually having it with me.

I turned off Motivation and walked to Vons for a notebook. All the while, I cursed Motivation. Totally his fault, this whole mess! I had nothing to do with any of it.

Even if it's his fault this time, I'll make it a point to check his battery life next time I decide to travel light and leave his power cord at home. Like searching for a CAT man in the oven before cooking, this is probably a good idea.

You know, just in case.

3 comments:

  1. Kudos to you for getting a notebook! I probably would have just given up on writing for the day.

    Also, I love the title of this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously considered going back home to get my power cord! I figured what would probably happen was that I'd open the door, see how cute my baby is and go, "Do I really need to write today?" So I decided I'd skip the going-home part and try getting something done. I got almost 600 words in that tiny composition book, which is 600 words I'd not have gotten if I'd gone home! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to have your attitude. So many times I tell myself that fifteen minutes isn't enough time to write--and so I don't bother. You're absolutely right: every word counts.

    ReplyDelete