Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Boyfriends, exes and the totality of love

New blog entry:
"The love inside, you take it with you"


Excerpt:
Please, please live long enough to meet your grandson.

In the early weeks of my son’s life, I called my mom in tears almost every day. “Crap, Mom, I just went to see another lactation consultant. I can’t make this work!”

My mom treated each of these conversations about breastfeeding as if it was our first conversation on the matter. Each time, she shared anecdotes, recommended research points, and told me she was proud of me for persevering as long as I had.

Each time, I hung up the phone with a smile. Yeah, I can do this thing! Then I’d remember my mom’s failing health and start crying anew. I prayed time and again that she’d live long enough to meet her grandson on Thanksgiving.

Planning my Thanksgiving trip to Eugene was a feat. I had the intellectual capacity of a My Little Pony but had to coordinate a combination of land and air travel for no fewer than three people. All my travel up to that point had involved searchin’ and purchasin’. Nothing more.

2 comments:

  1. Ack! Where's the rest?? I need to know what happened. Well, I guess the pic says it all. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I never once considered how effectively I was communicating the link! *headdesk* It's right above the excerpt, but rather than making you search more for that, here's the link:
    http://bit.ly/gw3awT

    It went somewhere very, very different than I expected it to, but that ended up being a much better place than I planned to visit. :)

    Thank you for commenting!

    ReplyDelete