Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Running for Mom

New blog entry:
Tomorrow's Eugene Marathon & Team Christine

Excerpt:
"If Mom could get on her bike through the pain and the tears, just to be able to go, I can do this."

On October 10, 2010, my younger sisters, my brothers-in-law and I ran 13.1 miles in the rain. This we did in memory of our mom, who'd lost her excruciating battle with neuroendocrine cancer six months earlier. Together--thanks to the loving support of our friends--we raised $5,015 in Mom's memory for the American Cancer Society.

As we neared the end, my sister Rachael got quieter. Each step was harder than the last, but remembering Mom's ferocious spirit in her final days gave Rachael the strength to persevere.

Tomorrow Rachael and Nick will run once more for Team Christine. It'll undoubtedly be a struggle, but most things worth accomplishing are.
Always and forever

2 comments:

  1. Deb, I keep getting a 404 error message on your link above. Haven't been able to access the complete blog post. But I saw on Twitter that your family ran today, so I'm sending belated good thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the heads up! I must've accidentally deleted/added a character, d'oh. (Of course I'd mess something like that up the one time I don't check the link!)

    I'll be posting a short follow-up on the marathon tonight. So, so very proud of my family this morning. <3

    ReplyDelete