Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Insidious & my horror movie rating system

New blog entry:
Poltergeist 2011

Excerpt:
"I kinda hate you right now, Deb."

My friend Elsha whispered these words to me in the middle of Insidious. She and her boyfriend Dave had joined me for the movie despite--like me--knowing very little about it.

Let's rewind a bit. On September 29, 2008, I described my personal horror movie rating system as follows:

There are four stages of horror movie success for me:
(1) ABYSMAL FAILURE: The closest I come to screaming is yawning, a lot
(2) MODERATE FAILURE: I have moments of interest that almost, almost verge on fear
(3) ALMOST WIN: This is characterized by me unconsciously lifting my feet off the floor just in case the monsters I'm suddenly suspicious live under the theater chairs try to eat them. Still, I've pretty much forgotten the movie by the time I reach the theater door
(4) WIN: That evening, I sleep with the light on. Just in case.

2 comments:

  1. You are braver than me! Most horror movies scare me (yes, most, I'm such a chicken) but I so love watching them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it a rush to feel something so outside the day-to-day range of emotion? I love it! Well, most the time, anyway. When I read House of Leaves in rural Japan, I regretted my love of horror. I slept with the lights on and all closet doors open for two weeks! Everything else has seemed mild by comparison, heh . . .

    ReplyDelete