Total Pageviews

Monday, June 13, 2011

Finding peace and quiet at Disneyland? In June? A single-parent salute

New blog entry:

Excerpt:
Which is worse, dealing with (a) the terrible twos or (b) Cthulhu eating your head? At DISNEYLAND?!

Single parents, I salute you.

The last few weeks have been exhausting. After Ba.D.'s TV show broke for summer hiatus, he started working on an indie film. My experiences working as an extra informed me that he'd be working (a lot) longer days than usual. I knew this meant I'd be working longer days, too, but I didn't realize how long they'd feel.

Even during the filming year, Ba.D.'s work hours are longer and more erratic than mine. This means I'm Li'l D's primary caregiver during the work week. Sometimes, on evenings where Li'l D's been a li'l bonkers and Ba.D. gets home after his bedtime, I've grumbled about this. The grumbling hasn't oft been long lived, because I understand there's a trade-off. Being the primary caregiver may mean more baby-related work, but it also means more time, more opportunities to share tenderness, and more firsts I get to be there to experience.

Removed from the grumblies, it's easy for me to see I wouldn't trade places. No way, no how.

Here, now, downing fries and Chardonnay (obviously in the same way I eat cereal!) at a Disneyland hotel, I'm not only removed from the grumblies but from all systems normal. From here it's also easy to see the extra tiredness I've felt the last few weeks is tied to the added responsibility I've been shouldering.

No comments:

Post a Comment