Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Depression, imma kick you in the junk

Depression was my constant companion in younger days. Through volunteering, running, opening up to my friends and learning how to smile (not coincidentally, a song I love), I found my way out, and life has been easier because of my relentless pursuit of that release.

Apart from the situational depression that haunted me following my mom’s death, I’ve only walked with depression once since I returned from Japan. Despite my past experiences, I didn’t see it for what it was until I sat at a stop sign a moment too long, longingly watching a semi-truck rolling up the hill (coincidentally, similar to the title of another song I love) perpendicular to me. I thought, “If I just took my brake off the pedal . . .”

[ read more ]

from the author of the book that inspired "six hands for lifting"




No comments:

Post a Comment