Total Pageviews

Monday, August 8, 2011

My toddler neat freak

Like every weekday morning, Sai ran into his kennel in anticipation of his breakfast to come. I filled his water and food bowls, then placed the water bowl in the kennel. “Leave it,” I commanded as I plucked the food bowl off the counter. I handed the bowl to Li’l D, who carefully carried it over to Sai’s kennel, crouched down and placed it just inside the kennel door.

Li'l D the Cleaninator

“Take it,” he commanded. Sai fortunately ignored him and kept watching me for his cue to dive in.

Ba.D. looked on in disbelief the first time he saw Li’l D and I conclude our then new morning dog-feeding routine. “When did this happen?”

“Oh, the last few days,” I murmured as I ushered Li’l D toward the front door. “He likes having chores.”

“Man, you can miss so much in so little time,” Ba.D. sighed.

True that. When Ba.D. began working on a film over the summer, there was no indication our little boy would move from occasionally tidying for fun to taking on certain tasks as his own. As of this writing, he enjoys sweeping alongside me. He feeds the dog. He likes dabbing at spills as they occur, although his accuracy is as yet far lesser than his enthusiasm. He ensures doors are closed because doing so pleases his sensibilities, even when those are inconsistent with his parents’. He picks up little scraps of trash he discovers while doing laps around the apartment and pronounces them “trash” as he deposits them in our kitchen garbage.

[ read more ]

No comments:

Post a Comment