Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Jewish? Not Jewish? Acting & forgiving yourself: necessary

This morning, I found an entry by Jess that inspired me to actually post this instead of letting it linger eternally in “draft” format.

Your words and actions do matter.

A few months ago, I received an invitation to read in front of my synagogue’s congregation during the Jewish High Holy Days. When I accepted, I had no idea what I’d be reading, or in which service. I only knew my segment would be brief, and would see me standing in front of the congregation for less than one minute.

When I received a copy of my reading on Friday afternoon, I stared at it and wondered, “Can I possibly believe in coincidence, right now?”

Last Wednesday, I wrote Use-those-words Wednesday, a reflection on the horrors of silence when words may change the entire shape of things. In an eerily similar vein, my reading concludes:

To look away from evil:
Is this not the sin of all “good” people?

No comments:

Post a Comment