Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 22, 2011

one of those hideous books where the mother dies

New blog entry:
my response to this very un-hideous book

Excerpt:
I picked [one of those hideous books where the mother dies] up this afternoon intending to read a couple of pages. I flipped it open and cringed when I saw it was written in what appeared to be verse. (Yes, the book’s blurb should have been a hint.) I nevertheless figured I shouldn’t dismiss it before trying it.

And wouldn’t you know it, it was love at first verse. The story begins as its protagonist, Ruby, is being taken away from her old life in Boston and toward her new one in Los Angeles:

American Airlines Flight 161

I’m not that depressed
considering that this
gigantic silver bullet with wings
is blasting me away from my whole entire life,
away from Lizzie Brody,
my best friend in the world,
away from Ray Johnston,
my first real boyfriend.


It continues to describe how she’s been “kidnapped by this monstrous steel pterodactyl” and away from her mother’s newly filled grave. It does so in such a simultaneously heartfelt, funny and reflective way that I instantly wanted to adopt Ruby myself. Failing that, all I could do was dive in and share her journey with her.

2 comments:

  1. that is an awesome review! makes me want to read it! (like a hook for a query!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! Thanks :)

    I would still really recommend it. After the "eloping" comment, the author asked if that was wedding bells she heard. I replied that I couldn't commit yet, because I've still got to read her other books.

    I've occasionally gone to the library and picked up another book from an author whose work I've enjoyed. Till now, I've never bought all their books at the same time on the basis of having read part of one! Heh.

    ReplyDelete