Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 29, 2011

A soldier’s homecoming: a wrong turn toward a right moment

New blog entry:

Excerpt:

. . .

I wasn’t feeling so accomplished as I exited the wrong side of the airport and made my way back toward the other side. The one I wished I’d known existed when I checked in.

I felt downright grumbly until I caught sight of bunches of U.S.-flag themed balloons, and saw a gaggle of people holding a banner reading “WELCOME HOME!” I saw those and thought, aw. This is what a soldier’s homecoming looks like!

Li’l D and I made it to the top of the security ramp when I said, “This is pretty neat!” to the TSA employee stationed at the doorway.

“Yep, a soldier’s coming back from Afghanistan today!”

I turned back around just in time to see a young man in business attire be interrupted by a tearful, full-body hug. I shared the hugger’s tears and thought, I am so freakin’ glad I messed up just right to be able to witness this.


No comments:

Post a Comment